The CNAG’s primary mission is to carry out
large-scale DNA sequence analysis
projects in human and other species in
collaboration with researchers in Catalonia,
Spain and internationally.
One of the primary goals will be to
generate and interpret the genome data
that will help understand the way a human
or other genome functions so that this
information can then be used for the
improvement of human health or the
sustainable and durable generation of
We are seeking a bioinformatician,
computational biologist or software developer with knowledge of biology to
work within the Production Bioinformatics
Team. The two main axes of activity will be
the development of integrated tools for
tracking information at all stages of the
sequencing process and the automated
management, analysis and quality control
of large amounts of sequence data.
The successful candidate will report to the
Production Bioinformatics Team Leader.
1. Master’s degree in Bioinformatics or
related discipline with at least 1 year
experience, or Bachelor’s degree with
3+ years of practical experience.
2. Very able in Unix, Linux and Windows
operating systems and networks.
3. In depth experience with Unix shell
scripts and Python.
4. Excellent teamwork, organizational and
5. Good spoken and written English
1. Experience in genomic data analysis
2. Proficiency in SQL.
3. Knowledge of Perl, R and/or C/C++
4. Experience with batch processing on a
5. Experience with next generation sequencing
6. Experience in a high-tech organization of
several interacting, specialized teams.
1. Ongoing development of the quality control
pipeline on a computer cluster so as to
assure automated continuous operation and
integration with LIMS (Lab Information Management System).
2. Maintenance of an automated system for
determining sequence quality based on
signal quality, alignment to reference
genomes and other measurements.
3. Management, analysis and quality control of
large amounts of sequence data.
4. Efficient testing and integration into the
production pipeline of new software as it
5. Development of new software and IT
solutions for the fast-changing field of DNA
6. Communication and troubleshooting with
sequencing and bioinformatics groups .