ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences is a centre based in Barcelona, devoted to the research and education of the optical and photonic sciences, at the highest international level. The Advanced Fluorescence Imaging and Biophysics group at ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences, in collaboration with the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC), is offering PhD positions to well-qualified, highly motivated and dynamic young scientists who wish to enhance their scientific career in a friendly and stimulating environment, as well as to obtain a doctoral degree in Photonics.
The advanced fluorescence imaging and biophysics group led by Melike Lakadamyali has openings for PhD positions available for interdisciplinary projects that incorporate many cutting-edge fields such as super resolution fluorescence microscopy and plasmonics
Candidates must hold an internationally-recognized master's degree (or evidence of its completion in the nearest future). We are looking for highly motivated candidates with training in: physics, biophysics, and chemistry, bio engineering or related fields.
Positively valued will be experience in optics, plasmonics, single molecule biophysics and computer programming (Matlab, C++, LabView etc…).
No restrictions of citizenship apply to the ICFO fellowships.
Conditions of fellowships
The fellowships are offered for periods of one year, renewable for a total of four years. The annual renewal of the ICFO-UPC fellowship is conditional on satisfactory performance in research and teaching activities, as well as on positive evaluation by the thesis director and the ICFO Board.
E-mail submissions must include the mailing label “AFIB-PhD.Barcelona Adds Value” and your last name printed before the label. Applications can also be submitted by post. Suitable candidates are requested to submit:
• A presentation letter with declaration of research interests,
• A Curriculum Vitae, including a full address, a contact phone number and e-mail address and a copy of the passport,
• A scanned copy of your University academic transcripts in English or Spanish,
• A scanned copy of the degree, if available at the time of application,
• The contact e-mail of three potential referees.
• A proof of English command (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.) in the case that English is not the first language or the undergraduate degree was acquired in a country where English is not the official language.
• If available, a scanned copy of standardized GRE test results. Note that submission of GRE test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
Please note that candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the entire selection process.
Deadlines and contacts
The call will remain open until suitable candidates are identified.