ICFO is a research center located in the Mediterranean Technology Park in the metropolitan area of Barcelona, and currently hosts 400+ people, including researchers, PhD students and staff personnel. Today, in its area of specialization and category, the institute is consistently ranked among the highest-quality research institutions worldwide.
ICFO’s Knowledge and Technology Transfer (KTT) unit is proactive in establishing partnerships with industrial corporations, and in fostering spin-off creation. One of our main goals is to act as a leading ally of the optics and photonics industry.
ICFO’s KTT unit is expanding its team through a key appointment. We are looking for a Business Developer for a combination of two halftime assignments: business developer for the Graphene and 2D materials Project Portfolio at ICFO and the Graphene Flagship, with a focus on:
1) Optoelectronics and Photonics, focusing on broadband photodetectors, sources, plasmonic sensors, integrated photonics, optical sensing systems and imaging sensors
2) Flexible electronics and wearable devices, including flexible, transparent electrodes on flexible substrates and biosensors.
More on Graphene Flagship assignment
With a budget of €1 billion, the Graphene Flagship is Europe's biggest ever research initiative. The core consortium consists of over 150 academic and industrial research groups in 23 countries.
Innovation work is an elemental part in succeeding in the core task of bringing graphene and related materials from laboratories to factory floor and have a real impact in European economy. We now seek business developers with the aim to accelerate the commercialization of the graphene inventions in the areas above-mentioned.
About the Tasks
The Business Development activities include:
- Perform prospective technological studies and benchmarking of the state of the art of the targeted technological sectors of interest.
- Evaluate the commercial potential of the portfolio of inventions, discoveries and research initiatives available in such targeted areas.
- Perform market analysis and business planning for proprietary technology with commercial potential.
- Manage a patent portfolio through active promotion marketing and licensing inventions and technologies in the targeted areas.
- Draft and negotiate contractual terms with industrial partners.
- Seek for public and private funding; identify opportunities and brief management.
- Establish relationships with potential allies, companies, other research institutions, and investors.
- Proactively attend networking events and activities aiming at strengthen the links between ICFO and different type of companies, investors and allies in the targeted technological areas.
The appointee will preferably have:
- A Master or a PhD degree in a relevant area of Science or Engineering, with demonstrated experience in industry or in technology transfer
- Demonstrated track record in IP management and licensing, or business development of research results.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit, excellent organizational, planning and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand and appreciate the implications of contractual terms.
- Eye for details, responsibility, “eager to learn” attitude, creativity.
- Willingness and motivation to work hard.
- A strong desire for personal growth, professional development and success.
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the different events and activities.
Additionally, she/he will be:
- Able to perform tasks independently or as part of a team.
- Able to meet deadlines and proactively follow up on assignments.
- Fluent in English.
- The opportunity to become a member of a young and internationally recognized research institution.
- Salary according to the institutional salary scales.
- Two-years position. The position is partially funded by the Graphene Flagship project, which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 649953.
- No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO positions.