The ICN2 offers competitive fellowships to talented students who wish to develop a research career at one of the top European institutions in the field of nanoscience and nanotechnology. Selected students will have the opportunity to develop their PhD thesis in a topic at the cutting-edge of nanoresearch in a stimulating environment with access to an outstanding research infrastructure.
Fellows will benefit from the ICN2 PhD Programme, which comprises a structured training path with scientific seminars, and technical and transferable skills training throughout the duration of their PhD, plus periodical monitoring and evaluation activities. The objective is to provide fellows all the support they need for the proper development of their research career.
The ICN2 actively promotes international and interdisciplinary research. As such our PhD students are strongly encouraged to undertake mobility actions, such as research visits abroad (including industrial placements), collaborations with national and international partners, and conference and workshop attendance. These actions all strengthen the fellow's career prospects after obtaining their PhD, improving the PhD student´s chances of continuing their research career at prominent institutions worldwide in academia and/or industry.
Research areas and groups:
Successful candidates will join one of the ICN2 research groups and carry out their research in one of the following scientific fields:
- Growth and synthesis of nanomaterials
- Characterisation and metrology
- Theory and simulation
APPLICATION AREAS OF RESEARCH
- Energy and environment
- Information and communication technologies
During the application process, candidates will be asked to select the ICN2 research group(s) they would like to join. Please visit the profiles of our groups at http://icn2.cat/en/research
Candidates must fulfil the following requirements at the time of the call deadline:
- Have obtained a Master or equivalent degree in a field of science related to the ICN2 research activities or group they would like to join by the date of incorporation.
- Have an excellent academic record and strong commitment to scientific research. Previous research experience is highly regarded.
- High Level of English.
- Specific additional eligibility requirements may apply depending on the funding schemes available.
For any further clarification as to these requirements, applicants should contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting an application.
Research career profile (based on the European Framework for Research Careers):
First Stage Researcher (R1)
Summary of conditions:
- Full-time working contract as a PhD researcher for 3 years. Contracts include medical care coverage by the Spanish public healthcare system and workplace accident insurance.
- Salary according to the cost of living in Barcelona.
- Relocation support.
- Social benefits: life insurance, flexible timetable, flexible compensation package.
- Training and monitoring programme: As a member of the institutional PhD Programme, the selected PhD students will have full access to the scientific, technical and transferable skills training and relevant monitoring activities organised each year.
How to apply:
All applications must be made via the ICN2 careers website:
and include the following:
- A cover letter.
- A full CV including contact details.
- 2 reference letters.
- Academic records (if the transcripts are not in English, Catalan or Spanish, applicants should also attach a translation in one of the mentioned languages).
- Applicants should select 3 groups in the application form in which they would like to work.
Once the application is submitted, an acknowledgement of reception is sent by e-mail to the applicant.
For additional information in the application procedure, please contact to email@example.com or visit: http://jobs.icn2.cat/job-openings/119/icn2-phd-fellowship-programme