The CRG, the Centre for Genomic Regulation, is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, whose mission is to discover and advance knowledge for the benefit of society, public health and economic prosperity.
The breadth of topics, approaches and technologies at the CRG permits a broad range of fundamental issues in life sciences and biomedicine to be addressed. Research at the CRG falls into four main areas: gene regulation, stem cells and cancer; cell and developmental biology; bioinformatics and genomics; and systems biology.
With more than 380 scientists from 42 countries, the CRG excellence is based on an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies.
The Scimago Institution Rankings (SIR) World Report 2015 classifies the CRG in 6th position (according to the Q1 indicator, Health sector), out of over 5,100 research institutions around the world.
The centre's other main strategic goals are: to translate basic scientific findings into benefits for health and economic value for society; to provide advanced and excellent training to our scientists; and to communicate and establish a bilateral dialogue with society.
CRG's other main strategic goals are: to translate basic scientific findings into benefits for health and economic value for society; to provide advanced and excellent training to our scientists; and to communicate and establish a bilateral dialogue with society.
The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) was integrated with the CRG in July 2015, and is one of the major genome sequencing centres in Europe with a park of second generation DNA sequencers supported by an extensive informatics infrastructure.
CRG has received the “HR Excellence in Research” award from the European Commission, which shows the commitment of the institute in conducting transparent and merit-based recruitment procedures and providing attractive working conditions in alignment with the European Charter and Code.
For further information: www.crg.eu
Mission of the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic Funds Manager to strengthen the team of the Grants Office.
The Funds Manager’s mission is to proactively offer individualized and professional support to CRG Group Leaders and grant holders in effectively managing their core and external funds, following internal policies and terms & conditions of the funding bodies.
The post holder will be reporting to the Head of the Department and be closely working with the other members of the team.
The main duties of this position will include:
- Providing Group Leaders and grant holders with a single overview of their internal and external funds
- Providing advice to ensure full compliance during award acceptance arrangements
- Monitoring budget and expenditure levels on the assigned projects
- Providing project holders with regular follow-up and advice in connection with expenditure control, budget deviations and budget forecasts
- Keeping funds and grants accounting records updated in Oracle
- Acting as financial control point for approval of staff costs and equipment purchase (or their adjustment) and monitoring time recording system for EC-funded projects
- Elaborating projects financial statements and providing any other information needed to ensure adherence to the applicable regulations as well as compliance during financial audits, whilst supporting project´s holders for timely submission of scientific reports
- Liaising with funding bodies and project coordinators to solve administrative and financial issues
- University Degree. A Finance or Economics degree is highly desirable.
- A minimum three-year experience in a similar position is required
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and reporting of awards from a range of funding bodies (i.e. Spanish and Catalan government, European Commission) is required
- Demonstrated experience in financial management of awards from other international funding bodies and foundations will be an advantage
- Previous experience in a Financial Department or in a scientific environment will be an advantage
Technical skills required:
- Strong numeracy and IT skills
- Proven experience in using ERP/data management systems. Practice of Oracle will be an advantage
- Knowledge of tools like Dropbox, Wikis, Google tools or others will also be considered
- English: advanced
- Spanish: advanced
- Catalan: good knowledge will be an advantage
- Proactive, multi-tasking and result-oriented
- Capable of performing high level analysis and convey key points to a variety of audiences
- Has strong communication skills, both written and verbal, to interact with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Focused to work with accuracy and attention to detail
- Able to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external colleagues at all levels
- Duration: 3-year full-time position with option to extend to permanent contract
- Estimated annual gross salary: competitive salary that may be adjusted according to the qualifications and experience of the candidate
- Working hours: Monday-Friday: 8-9 am to 5-6 pm. Occasional travelling required
- Start date: Immediate hiring
We offer to work in a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, providing the successful applicant with unique opportunities to develop a strong technical portfolio.
The post holder will benefit of a number of opportunities for professional development and continuous training, which includes access to grants-related external seminars, on-site courses of the Intervals education programme of the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (http://intervals.prbb.org), easy science talks and workshops for the administrative staff, focus thematic sessions at the administration and department level.
CRG offers and promotes a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.