The Center for Research in Agricultural Genomics (CRAG) CSIC-IRTA-UAB-UB is recruiting a highly qualified and motivated individual for the position of Head of the Communication & Outreach Office.
The successful candidate will work on a wide variety of projects and on content creation and media relations. Research at CRAG encompasses basic science in plant development, physiology, metabolism and genetics; bioinformatics and genomics of plants and farm animals; and applied projects developed together with Agbio, Biotech, and Breeding companies.
CRAG received in 2015 the “Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence” Award, and the “Human Resources Excellence in Research” accreditation.
is established as a Consortium of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Institute of Agrifood Research and Technology (IRTA), Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), and University of Barcelona (UB). The Center is located at the UAB campus, and currently hosts 200 members from across the world. Research Programs at CRAG (from basic science to applied research using plant experimental model systems, crops and farm animals) take extensive use of genomic technologies and large sets of genetic and genomic data ( http://biannualreport2012‐2013.cragenomica.es
Main objectives of CRAG Communication & Outreach Office are:
• To develop and implement a communication and marketing strategy to strengthen the national and international recognition of the Center and to facilitate fundraising.
• To develop and implement an outreach plan addressing three main areas: scientific vocations, scientific culture, and media and industry. To assist researchers in transmitting the results of their research to the general public in the most genuine way.
• To enhance CRAG online presence, through its website and developing a comprehensive on-line communications strategy using Social Media (YouTube, Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook, etc.) integrated in CRAG's website.
• To help reaching high potential future researcher to the Center, and to transmit the importance of frontier research in plant and farm animal biology.
• To enhance the financial resources of the Center by diversifying funding sources, to include sponsorships and public-private partnerships, or novel avenues such as crowd funding.
• To prepare proposals for obtaining funds for outreach activities at CRAG
• To enhance internal communications
As Head of the Office, the successful candidate will be responsible for the objectives described above. Main tasks will include:
• As brand steward, ensure that the Center’s communications effectively and consistently articulate its mission and values.
• Design the communication (external and internal) plans and marketing strategies following the main objectives of CRAG.
• Organize, write and manage content for CRAG communication including: social media, dynamic content for CRAG website, the Center´s annual report, press releases on major research advances, Newsletter contributions, mailings, etc. Oversee production of print and online communications material.
• Manage Press / Media relations and identify new communication opportunities for CRAG. Ensure that web-based communications and social media efforts are on the cutting-edge and help build awareness and support for the Center.
• Explain scientists’ activities and results in a way that shows CRAG´s unique role and its impact on society. Creatively use media to communicate this.
• Ensure fluid communication with researchers and define and implement protocols for them when dealing with the media.
• Identify and execute creative new approaches to build awareness of the Center, working as needed with outside consultants and agencies.
• Supervise CRAG’s organization of and participation in events and conferences.
• Plan and supervise CRAG’s dissemination tasks in public and privately funded research projects. Plan, supervise, and collaborate on CRAG´s general outreach activities.
• Manage CRAG´s Alumni network
• Degree or Master in Scientific Communications or Journalism, or equivalent demonstrated experience. Specific courses a plus.
• Ideally, a degree in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology or a similar discipline
• Fluency in Photoshop / multi-media editing programs
• Excellent English (native or equivalent) and Spanish/Catalan (written and oral).
• Ability to understand scientific messages and effectively transmit them to a variety of different audiences
At least 2 years’ experience in science communication, ideally in the communications department of a scientific or research organization, and progressively gaining responsibilities in developing and executing plans.
We seek a creative person with initiative, empathy, and a “can do” attitude toward resolving unforeseen challenges; excellent organizational skills, responsible, methodical, with a willingness to learn and ability to work both independently and as part of a team; self-confident and able to propose and manage new as well as support existing initiatives; strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work within an international context.
A full time position for an initial period of one year, with the possibility to be permanent.
Salary depending on the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Submission of applications:
Interested applicants should submit (all the documents are mandatory):
• Presentation letter describing past and current positions, motivation, and economic aspirations (2 pages max.)
• Full CV detailing experience and education.
• Three references (including email address and phone number)
Please submit all the application materials through CRAG website: http://www.cragenomica.es/jobs
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2016.